Whether you enjoy a light-hearted animation or a full-blown horror movie, we’ve got the perfect night-in movie selection to celebrate Halloween with no tricks, just treats. We also have a Spicy Caramel Popcorn recipe to pair with your scary movie!
Check out M&M’s delicious mascots, Red and Yellow’s top six all-time favourite Halloween movies:
1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
This legendary 1993 stop-motion animated musical follows the misadventures of Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s beloved pumpkin king, who has become bored with the same old annual routine of frightening people in the “real world”.
Whether it is the 1990 or 2017 film, based on Stephen King’s 1986 novel, we know that facing Pennywise, as well as your own fears, will raise the hairs on your arms.
The 1984 comedy horror film takes a quick turn from cute to scary, but remains an enjoyable experience for those who can’t muster-up the courage to watch an actual scary movie.
4. The Addams Family
They’re creepy and kooky. They’re mysterious and spooky. They are the one family who knows how to do Halloween the right way. Check out the recent animated Addams Family version, which is showing in cinemas now.
5. The Conjuring
Not for the faint-hearted, this 2013 supernatural horror film is loosely based on the real-life events surrounding Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were American paranormal investigators and authors associated with prominent cases of haunting.
6. The Shining
Romantic movies – you can’t go wrong with films based on Nicholas Sparks novels and when it comes to horror, we can’t resist a film based on a Stephen King novel. “Heeeeeeere’s johnny!”, a famous line from the 1980 psychological horror drama film will make the bravest amongst us shudder.
No scary movie is complete without some popcorn – with a Halloween twist from cookbook author and food stylist, Sam Linsell from Drizzle & Dip.
Recipe: Spicy Caramel Popcorn
• 150g corn kernels • 15 ml coconut oil, or any other neutral oil • 5 ml ground cumin • 5 ml ground cinnamon • 3 ml paprika • 5 ml salt • 3 ml bicarbonate of soda • 325 g butter • 300 g granulated white sugar • 30 ml golden syrup • 5 ml vanilla extract • 1 cup or a 128 bag of Limited edition peanut & hazelnut M&M’s
1. Preheat the oven to 120 °C. Line a baking tray with silicone or baking paper.
2. Make the popcorn any way that you prefer and transfer to a large, deep bowl; it should only half fill the bowl, allowing space to toss the sauce.
3. Mix all the spices and bicarbonate of soda together.
4. In a medium-size, heavy-based pot bring the butter, sugar, and syrup to the boil. Continue to let it bubble, stirring continuously, until the mixture turns golden-brown and reaches the hard crack stage of 155 °C. Add the vanilla extract and spice mix and stir vigorously for a few seconds, then remove from the heat. Pour the hot caramel over the popcorn and toss to coat.
5. Spread the caramel-covered popcorn evenly on the prepared baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven and toss to ensure it’s evenly coated. Return it to the oven for a further 15 minutes, then remove, toss again and leave to cool.
6. Once cool, break it up and serve in a bowl with the M&M’s. Store in an airtight container to preserve.