Choosing an engagement ring is one of the most exciting parts of getting married. After all, this is the piece of jewellery you’ll be wearing for the rest of your married life. So, where do you even begin? We asked some top local specialists about what’s trending …
From the traditional to the contemporary, engagement rings can be as unique and varied as the brides who wear them. Passionate about creating high quality yet affordable jewellery, we asked Catalisa Jewellery owners Cath and Liz to tell us about the current engagement ring trends. “Buyers today are discerning and they like to know that the stones they are buying are responsibly and ethically sourced. Most people also want to have their own style and it has become important that their taste is reflected in their choice of wedding and engagement rings.”
1. The iconic solitaire has always been in style, but the modern take on this classic design sees the choice of stone being set so simply that it gives the appearance of the stone floating on the finger. Skinny bands with various shaped diamonds and different coloured precious stones become the feature of this ring.
2. The more contemporary version of the classic Trilogy ring sees petite side stones and pear cut diamonds being a popular choice and once again, skinny rounded bands allow the stones to be the hero of the ring. We are also seeing a big demand for Trilogy rings where all three stones are a similar size or where a striking blue sapphire or red ruby is used as the centre stone making a beautiful statement.
3. Even though there has been a subtle shift to simplicity this year, the ever popular Halo design never fails to deliver. With a choice of centre stone, this stunning design can be adapted to suit every pocket and style. Tiny brilliant cut diamonds set closely to frame the centre stone add an extra sparkle to any shaped diamond or coloured stone.
4. Every bride-to-be wants to make her ring unique which is why bespoke made rings are so popular. Getting to design your own ring from scratch allows for a myriad choices in size and colour with different shaped diamonds and coloured stones being the most popular ways to ensure each ring takes on a style of its own.
5. A subtle addition of almost undetectable details in the ring is a highly sought after feature. The inclusion of a secret halo is the perfect way to add a little personality and sparkle to an otherwise simple ring.
6. While rose gold is still a popular choice, yellow gold is the most sought after metal for rings this year. Two -tone rings are another favourite and can give a slight vintage look to a ring.
7. To complement their wedding rings, brides are mostly choosing minimalistic tiny claw set diamond bands or twisted bands which are worn alongside their rings. A new trend however, has been the introduction of new bold chunky bands which are worn alone as statement piece.
Gents rings have followed the trend with more minimalistic bands also mainly in yellow gold. Hard wearing black carbon fibre rings are a practical and durable and also very popular.