If you’re looking for a way to unwind and de-stress (aren’t we all?!), then we highly recommend a trip down to the South Coast … it’s great for the mind, body and soul!
1. Beaches: Yes, we have amazing beaches on the North Coast, but they say a change is as good as a holiday … and a holiday is even better! There are so many beautiful beaches on the South Coast, five of which have Blue Flag status – Marina Beach, Trafalgar Beach, Southport Beach, Umzumbe Beach and Hibberdene Beach.
2. Golf courses: Known colloquially as ‘The Golf Coast’, the KZN South Coast has 11 top-quality courses that offer golfers of all handicaps a sufficiently challenging round, many of which boast ocean views.
3. Diving and fishing: There’s no better diving and fishing spots than those on the KZN South Coast – particularly when the annual sardine run is on the move! Visitors can experience ‘The Greatest Shoal on Earth’ under water at one of two marine protected areas and world-class dive sites – Protea Banks and Aliwal Shoal.
4. Hiking and mountain biking trails: The gorgeous agricultural lands and the indigenous coastal forests with their cliffs, waterfalls and streams are best experienced through the endless biking and hiking trails.
5. Rural experiences: Through rural tourism development initiatives, the KZN South Coast’s hinterland is a must visit! Cultural heritage and the region’s history are told through song, dance and more at Ntelezi Msani Heritage Centre. Village tours and exploration of the natural wonders can be enjoyed at Nyandezulu and KwaNzimakwe. And, for an unforgettable experience, there’s the KwaXolo Caves Adventures.
6. Nature reserves: The KZN South Coast is home to 10 nature reserves – TC Robertson, River Valley, Oribi Gorge and the Red Desert among them – which are home to a variety of walking trails and picnic spots.
7. Waterfalls: The many rivers and diverse landscape of the KZN South Coast is made all the more impressive by the cascading waterfalls found throughout the region. Lehr’s Waterfall in the densely forested Oribi Gorge is also the site of the world’s highest bungee swing at 165m, offered by Wild 5 Adventures.
8. Day spas: De-stress with some of the best pampering on the KZN South Coast at one of its many local spas.
9. Sundowners: Finish off the day with a relaxing sundowner at one of the many local eateries. Some of the best spots to enjoy a cocktail with a view are C-Bali in St Michael’s, Blue Lagoon in Ramsgate, Riptide Restaurant in Southbroom, Fish on the River in Port Shepstone and Senzi’s Shisanyama, Aura and The Grove in Margate.
10. Dezzi Raceway: A bit of motor-fuelled action is just the thing to relax for some, and Dezzi Raceway in Port Shepstone is the only Motorsport South Africa (MSA) approved racing track in the province!
Details: Download the free ‘Explore KZN South Coast’ app from Google Play and Apple stores or visit: FB: @SouthCoastToursim, IG: @infosouthcoast, www.visitkznsouthcoast.co.za