Do you spend most of your time standing in front of your closet not knowing what to wear? Has keeping up with the latest trends become too much for you? Don’t worry, Get It called in qualified image consultant and stylist, Minnette Oliver from We Wear What, to tell us all about the latest summer trends for 2020 that will make choosing a wardrobe easier and much more fun.
What are the big fashion trends to look out for in November?
- Go baggy – high-waisted oversized jeans, paired with a white top. A new style denim is the number one way to update your wardrobe this summer.
- T-shirts with shoulder pads
- Sporty casual outfits with accents or sneakers in neon.
- Crop tops if you’re lucky enough to be able to wear them, and even a bra-like top under blazers.
- Puffy sleeved dresses
- The summer slip dress, in silk.
When it comes to tropical colours for clothing, what advice do you have for our readers?
- Colours like butter yellow, mint and violet purple will be making the rounds this summer.
- If you don’t know which colour suits you, wear the colour on the bottom half of your body to make the effect on your skin tone less.
Which colour is always a YES and why?
Everyone who knows me, knows the answer is beige. Any form of beige, for example white, off-white, creams, nudes, stone, etc., is always elegant and flattering on all skin tones. It also works with any other colour, and is a great replacement for black as a staple.
What is a big NO NO when it comes to picking a nice tropical outfit?
Keep the pattern size small and delicate. Patterns that are too big and bold may overwhelm you and not create an expensive look.
Which trends are cool in your opinion?
- Chunky boots with dresses
- Mom jeans (high-waisted and baggy)
How would you style a typical tropical outfit for a day out?
This would be high waisted shorts for me in a print or colour like yellow, worn with either a crisp, white blouse or a body-hugging top. Pair with sneakers or square-toed sandals.
Short dresses paired with espadrilles are a must. Finish your tropical outfit with a gorgeous beach bag in an oversized, neutral colour and golden accessories like chunky earrings and oversized chain.
Text: PIERCE VAN HEERDEN