Our daily lives have changed significantly. Our routines are different, we are cleansing more aggressively, wearing face masks and experiencing times of extreme stress.
This can all have an impact on your skin. It is important to make conscious choices during these times to keep your skin healthy. We chatted to Charize Neill, Marketing Manager for Eau Thermale Avène, who shared her lockdown tips with us.
Taking care of your hands
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use lukewarm water to respect your hand sensitivity
- Use a gentle cleansing product that respects your skin barrier and offers additional nourishing benefits. Try a product like Avène XeraCalm A.D Ultra-Rich Cleansing Bar.
- Dry your hands gently with a towel that you clean on a regular basis
- Apply a suitable hand cream 2-3 times a day to moisturise and repair the irritation and cracks. A product like Avène Cicalfate HAND Repairing Barrier Cream forms an insulating, water-resistant barrier with active ingredients that both repair and reduce the risk of bacterial growth.
- Avoid washing your hands with excessively cold or hot water to avoid skin irritation
- Be wary of harsh soaps as they can disrupt your skin barrier. But if you don’t have access to anything else, using something better than nothing.
Your skincare routine
- Wash your face twice a day with a suitable, gentle cleanser for your skin type
- Moisturize morning and evening and don’t forget your neck/chest area. If your skin is feeling hypersensitive, opt for products that are extra gentle and help restore your skin’s natural balance. Try the Avène Tolérance Extrême range.
- Apply sunscreen with added antioxidant protection. This will not only protect you when you are outdoors, but also help combat UV-generated oxidative stress. Remember, UVA rays can penetrate glass, so even if you are indoors, you may not be as safe as you think. Try Avène SPF50+ Emulsion.
- Since a lot of us have extra time on our hands now, use it wisely to give your skin some extra TLC. Add some extras to your routine like a gentle exfoliator and a luxurious mask twice a week. Try Avène Gentle Exfoliating Gel and Avène Soothing Radiance Mask.
- Don’t forget the basics. When our routines are disrupted, we may forget to take care of our skin or simply become lazy. This can be detrimental to your skin health, so try maintaining your skincare regime.
- If you experience a rash or irritation as a result of wearing face masks or other irritants, use products that are proven to be safe and effective, to avoid aggravating the skin further. Find something that offers soothing benefits like Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray and intensive repair like Avène Cicalfate Repair Cream.
- Be very careful of home remedies. Very often these experimental skincare remedies can cause some serious harm to your skin. Stick to expert products with proven efficacy.
- Keep your hands off your face. As tempting as it can be when it is itchy or uncomfortable, touching your face during these times can cause bacteria to spread (which is not good for your skin) and can increase your chances of infection (refer to WHO).
All these products available from Dis-Chem, Clicks and online from www.dermastore.co.za