Spring’s been a little late coming this year, but finally the sun’s out and the weather’s warming up. So if you haven’t yet thought about giving your skincare a spring clean, now’s a good time. Most of us will find that our skin is still experiencing the winter blues … dehydrated and dry, especially on the heels, knees and elbows, with stressed-out, dull and undernourished skin on your face.
Come the new season, it’s just as important to relook our skin care regime as it is our wardrobe. And while a complete overhaul isn’t necessary, a few adjustments will help you look and feel better, not to mention keep your skin healthy.
- Spring clean your beauty stash – Spring cleaning doesn’t only refer to combing through the unworn clothes in your closet or boxes in your garage. Your beauty stash also requires a good clean out. Look over your skin care products — including topicals, make-up brushes and hairbrushes — and clean out. Discard any expired products as these can have bacteria build-up and ingredients may no longer be active. It’s also a good time to reassess your skin type and consider what your regimen might need added or removed. Determine if you’re dealing with oily, dry, dull, irritated or acne-prone skin and opt for products that cater to your specific needs.
- Exfoliate more – Coming out of winter our skin will be a little on the dry and dehydrated side, making our pores look enlarged and our tone dull and red from the chilly temperatures and lack of moisture. As the weather warms up and our activity increases, our metabolism, circulation, and oil production all get back into gear instantly brightening the complexion, however this is also a great time to exfoliate. Exfoliation speeds up the process of removing old skin cells so that new ones can emerge. For your body, a gentle physical exfoliator made with sugar, salt or finely-ground plant material can be used. For the more delicate skin on your face, consider a milder exfoliator.
- Drink more water – Hydration is just as important for your skin in the spring as it is in the winter. Drinking up to eight glasses of water a day will help ride your body of toxins and keep your skin from getting dry and flaky.
- Adjust your moisturiser – Consider scaling back on the thickness and richness of the moisturising products you were using in winter and choose lighter ones to keep your skin healthy and hydrated without weighing it down.
- Get a facial – A visit to the spa during a seasonal change isn’t just a way to pamper yourself, it’s also a great time of year for pick-me-up treatments that refine skin texture or boost collagen production.
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables – A great way to get more water into your day, without actually having another glass of water, is by snacking on fresh fruit and vegetables. Top fruits and vegetables for optimal skin health include citrus, grapefruit, apples, watermelon, carrots, broccoli, and lettuce.
- Apply sunscreen – This is one of the easiest ways you can prevent damage and keep your skin healthy throughout the year. With an increased exposure to sun in the warmer months, it’s even more important to be diligent about applying sunscreen. Apply an SPF daily on top of your preferred Clere lotion or crème formulation.
Have a look Clere’s range of lotions and crèmes, which offer four formulations – Tissue Oil and Pure Glycerine, Triple Glycerine, Pure Glycerine Crème and Glycerine Gel – all available in different fragrances and catering to different skin needs. Our favourites are Tropical Coconut and Vanilla Honey Cream, but we also love Cocoa Butter, Lanolin & Glycerine, Avocado Milk, Powder Fresh, Rich Musk and Berries & Cream.
All of these give 48-hour moisturisation and contain Vitamins E & A, and you’ll find them at your local stores for between R21.99 and R34.99, so really well priced.
Details: Clere on Facebook and Instagram