It’s hot, it’s humid, and it’s frizzy! What many people don’t understand is that the weather is a factor that needs to be taken into account when planning for your natural hair. No matter the weather conditions – cold, hot, humid or dry – these can all play a role in how to look after your hair and what products to use to keep it manageable and in good condition.
‘Having hair that looks good and is in good condition is not about simply washing and conditioning a couple of times a week, and voila, you have camera-ready hair,’ says Revlon Realistic Special Feelings brand manager.
‘Using the correct products, with the correct formulations for YOUR hair is a step in the right direction, but these products need to be swapped and added to depending on the weather.’
THE FOLLOWING TIPS CAN HELP KEEP YOUR HAIR FRIZZ-FREE THIS SUMMER:
- Just as your skin needs protection in the sun, so does your hair. The sun’s UV radiation can dry out and damage your hair and can even cause your scalp to sunburn. Wearing a hat or scarf around your hair, as well as using an SPF conditioner can help with the damage and sunburn. Don’t add extra heat to your hair by using any heat, styling aids such as a straightener or hairdryer. This will dry out your hair even more.
- If the climate is humid choose to use a serum, cream or oil to lock out moisture from the air. The added moisture will add to the frizz. For hairstyle ideas in this type of weather, choose styles that hide your ends to prevent further damage. Styles such as buns and braids are low maintenance and keep your hair in good condition.
- In dry, arid conditions use a sulphate free shampoo, followed up a lotion, oil and cream. This will help to keep the moisture in, and your hair looking good.
- Summer activities such as swimming and outdoor exercising also create an environment where more moisture is added to the hair, this means that you will need to shampoo more often, preferably with a sulphate free shampoo.
• Your hair needs to be kept moisturised during this time and your products should be chosen to help with this. Revlon Realistic’s Special Feeling range of hair care products offers a Glycerine & Oil activator spray, a Supersoft activator and a Moisturising Crème activator which moisturise and replenish the hair making it soft and manageable, and frizz reduced during the summer