Entries are now open for the annual Sasol New Signatures Art Competition 2022, called Art Beyond Imagination.
Being the longest-running competition of its kind in South Africa, Sasol New Signatures plays a pivotal role in unearthing new South African talent and providing a platform from which emerging artists can launch their artistic careers.
“As the leading art competition for emerging artists in South Africa, Sasol New Signatures has embraced the challenge of being more than another art event,” said Chairperson of Sasol New Signatures, Pfunzo Sidogi.
“In the same way that truly great art transcends creativity and imagination, the Sasol New Signatures Art Competition is an opportunity for artists, audiences, and society at large to rethink and reimagine their world. But it all begins with an artwork. We, therefore, invite all eligible artists to submit entries for the 2022 edition of the competition. We invite you to showcase your boundless creativity.”
This annual competition is open to all South African artists over 18 years who have not yet held a solo exhibition. Artists who have held a solo exhibition for academic purposes (a Master’s degree exhibition) are also allowed to enter. All you need is to submit up to two artworks in all artistic mediums, including photography, performance art, video and installations.
“Sasol is proud to be a key sponsor, together with the Association of Arts Pretoria, of this important competition that seeks to encourage South Africa’s creativity and contribute to our national heritage,” said Nozipho Mbatha, Senior Manager: Group Brand and Sponsorships at Sasol.
“Art Beyond Imagination stimulates creative thinking and innovation, but also challenges both the artist and the audience to think beyond boundaries into a new and limitless world.”
Sasol New Signatures is not only about art but also about education. They have created a video to give entrants much needed technical information regarding format, size, media and layout of entered works as well as valuable advice regarding the presentation of competition standard work.
Watch the video:
Here is where you can enter from June 7 and June 8 from 10am to 4pm:
- Bloemfontein: Oliewenhuis Art Museum, 16 Harry Smith Street, Bloemfontein
- Cape Town: AVA (Association for Visual Arts Gallery), 35 Church Street, Cape Town
- Durban: KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood, Durban
- Johannesburg: FADA Building, Department of Visual Arts, University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road Campus, Auckland park, Johannesburg
- Polokwane: The Polokwane Art Museum, Library Gardens, corner Grobler & Hans van Rensburg Street, Polokwane
- Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth): NMU Bird Street Gallery – Nelson Mandela University, Bird Street Campus, 20 Bird Street, Central, Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth)
- Pretoria: Pretoria Art Museum, corner Francis Baard (previously Schoeman) and Wessels Streets, Arcadia Park, Pretoria
The winner of the Sasol New Signatures Art Competition will be announced on Wednesday, August 24 2022. The winner will receive R100 000 and a solo exhibition at next year’s exhibition.
The winning works will also be displayed at the Pretoria Art Museum from August 25 to October 2 2022. The runner up will receive R25 000 and the five merit award winners will each walk away with R10 000.
The 2021 Sasol New Signatures winner and multidisciplinary artist, Andrea du Plessis will hold her first solo exhibition within the official Sasol New Signatures 2022 exhibition. The exhibition is titled Supernature: Simulacra.