We’re planting …the gorgeously romantic Calibrachoa MiniFamous ‘Double PinkMania’ in time for Valentine’s Day.
It has large, unfading double pink blooms on a sturdy, semi-trailing plant that easily fills a large hanging basket or container. Its strengthened root system enables it to flower throughout summer, even in the heat. The plants form a mound, 15cm high and with a spread of 30cm. For a spectacular effect put three plants in a 28cm container or hanging basket, and place in a position that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Keep plants in peak flowering condition by feeding with a liquid fertiliser twice a month.
Patio edible…have ripe strawberries at your fingertips with a new range of patio strawberries that grow in hanging baskets and containers. Strawberry ‘Delizz’ is as pretty as it is productive, with large, bright pink flowers. It produces loads of sweet fruit, even in hot summer heat. This strawberry was the first to be an All-American Selections national winner. The easy-growing plants are compact, suitable for containers and hanging baskets. Water daily during high temperatures and feed twice a month with a liquid fertiliser for fruit and flowers. Plants do best in a position that receives morning sun and afternoon shade.
For more information visit www.ballstraathof.co.za
Garden tasks for February
- Water early in the morning or late afternoon if the weather is hot and dry.
- Use peanut shells, bark chips, or pine needles as a mulch to keep the soil cool.
- If the heat is intense, delay fertilising until the end of the month or early March.
- Start preparing your trenches for sweet peas
- Water twice a week if it is hot and dry, and water container plants (also hanging baskets) every day.
- Fertilise tomatoes, brinjals and peppers (5:1:5 or Vigorosa) and leafy vegetables (Nitrosol; or Margaret Roberts Organic Supercharger)
- In very hot weather set the mower higher so that the grass is longer to shade the roots.
- Keep birdbaths filled with fresh water. Also make sure there is plenty of water for domestic pets, especially dogs and cats that stay outside during the day.