Salted chocolate granola .. the title alone sounds like this deserves to be a decadent dessert! Adding raw cacao or cocoa and honey into real homemade granola and you have a party in your mouth to start your day! A wholefood breakfast packed with fibre and a range of nutrients to tick the nutritional boxes with the chocolate taste to boot. This recipe, shared by Founder Foods, is so good you can eat it dry as a snack during the day.
“We love to make this recipe with buckwheat which makes it suitable for those with gluten and gliadin sensitivities. A half buckwheat and half oats makes a great mix of textures too. If you are not fond of buckwheat substitute it completely with oats for a more traditional granola texture. Add raisins, cranberries or coconut chips to vary up your granola each time. The limit is your creativity!”
How to make salted chocolate granola
This recipe is simple and requires only a few ingredients. It takes about 30 minutes to make and the portion size can easily be adjusted to suit your family.
- 3 cups grain (either rolled oats or buckwheat or a mix of the 2)
- 1 cup chopped raw nuts (almonds, pecans, and/or walnuts are best)
- 1/4 cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate callets
- A handful of raisins or cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180’C.
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients
- In a small saucepan heat the coconut oil and honey until melted.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until all ingredients have a delicious chocolatey shine.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 20 -25 minutes (or until fragrant and darker in colour), stirring a bit near the halfway point to ensure even baking.
- Let cool completely. Place in a container that has an air-tight seal. Or store in the freezer up to 1 month or longer.
Serve with milk, yoghurt or within our chia breakfast pudding. If you love this munch on it as a snack, plain!