Gauteng foodies – and particularly those with a sweet tooth – are in for a special treat when MasterChef Australia 2017 runner-up Ben Ungermann hosts a series of Dessert Dégustation masterclasses at Capsicum Culinary Studio campuses in Pretoria and Boksburg this month.
The first two of these hands-on workshops – all of which will be from 6pm to 8pm – will take place on Monday, September 16 and Tuesday, September 17, in Pretoria, followed by two classes at Capsicum’s Boksburg branch on Monday, September 23 and Heritage Day, Tuesday, September 24.
Booking is essential as only 20 tickets per class have been allocated.
In the two-hour workshop, Ungermann will provide a step-by-step guide to making his iconic Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream with Goat’s Cheese and Basil, followed by a hands-on demonstration on how to make his Layer Dutch Spice Cake, his take on a Deconstructed Carrot Cake and finally how to create Ungermann’s Forest Log LAW Dark Chocolate and Truffle.
“This dessert masterclass will give amateur chefs excellent insight and practical hands-on experience in creating four delicious and decadent desserts that are sure to wow family and friends at that next lunch or dinner party,” said Ungermann
Tickets for the Ben Ungermann Dessert Dégustation cost R580 per person and include all ingredients as well as a sit down with Ungermann at the end of the class to enjoy the desserts created.
In addition, East Rand residents will get an extra slice of the Ungermann pie – so to speak – when the popular chef will also hold a one-off Chicken Masterclass at the Boksburg campus on the morning of Tuesday, September 24 from 10am to 12 noon.
In the Chicken Masterclass, Ungermann will demonstrate how to break down a chicken and use every single piece of the bird, with those taking part learning how to make three chicken dishes: Chicken Liver Parfait with Rosemary and Smoked Bacon (starter); Deconstructed Chicken Caesar Salad (entrée); and Chicken with Black Garlic Asparagus (mains).
And because it just wouldn’t be the same without a dessert from the ‘King of Ice Cream’, Ungermann will also show attendees how to create his amazing Vanilla Bayleaf Ice Cream with Pumpkin and Dutch Spice.
The Ben Ungermann Masterclass dates and times are as follows:
- Monday, September 16 from 6pm to 8pm: Ice Cream Masterclass and Dessert Dégustation. Capsicum Pretoria Campus, 134 Aramist Avenue, Menlyn Square, Pretoria, 0161.
- Tuesday, September 17 from 6pm to 8pm: Ice Cream Masterclass and Dessert Dégustation. Capsicum Pretoria Campus, 134 Aramist Avenue, Menlyn Square, Pretoria, 0161.
- Monday, September 23 from 6pm to 8pm: Ice Cream Masterclass and Dessert Dégustation. Boksburg Capsicum Campus, Unit 6, Bartlett Lake Office Park, corner Leith and Trichards Roads, Bartlett, Boksburg, 1460.
- Tuesday, September 24 (public holiday) from 10am to 12 noon: Chicken Masterclass followed by Chicken & Dessert Dégustation, Boksburg Capsicum Campus, Unit 6, Bartlett Lake Office Park, corner Leith and Trichards Roads, Bartlett, Boksburg, 1460.
- Tuesday, September 24 (public holiday) from 7pm to 9pm: Ice Cream Masterclass and Dessert Dégustation. Boksburg Capsicum Campus, Unit 6, Bartlett Lake Office Park, corner Leith and Trichards Roads, Bartlett, Boksburg, 1460.
For more information go to: https://www.capsicumcooking.com/ben-ungermanns-masterclass-degustations
Bookings for all masterclasses can be made via Quicket: https://www.quicket.co.za/events/82317-ben-ungermann-ice-cream-mc-followed-by-dessert-degustation/#/schedules
NB: Please choose a date from the drop-down schedule on Quicket to select your preferred masterclass.