Spring has begun and there is a lot to do to help your garden look its best. Here’s our top tips and gardening tasks.
• Plant summer colour. Annuals that grow quickly and easily from seed are alyssum, cosmos, lavatera, portulaca, California poppy and nasturtium. They all do best in
• Trim back invasive groundcovers to give other plants room to grow.
• Renew containers. Replace the potting soil and fill with summer annuals, trailing
groundcovers or grasses.
• Fertilise perennials with Vigorosa or granular fertiliser 3:1:5 or 5:1:5, and annuals with a liquid fertiliser. Use either pink or blue hydrangea food for hydrangeas.
• Water regularly and spread a layer of mulch over beds to conserve water and keep the roots cool.
• Mow lawns at least once a week, but if it is very hot and dry mow less frequently and set blades higher.