Here are some tips to keep nails in tip-top shape.
• Avoid biting your nails. This is pretty tempting especially if there skin or nails that are hanging loose.
• Coconut oil works well for healthy nail growth. It contains important nutrients to keep your nails moisturised and strong. It also strengthens your cuticles, which play a key role in nail growth. Plus, it helps cure hangnails, cuticle infections and nail fungus. Massage your nails and hands with warm extra-virgin coconut oil daily, at night, before going to bed. Massage in circular motions to improve blood circulation.
• Vitamin C. Soak your nails in fresh orange juice for at least 10 minutes. Rinse them off with warm water, pat dry and apply some moisturiser. Follow this remedy once daily until you are satisfied with the results.
• Toothpaste. To get rid of the yellowish colour, after removing nail polish, use a scrubbing brush with whitening toothpaste.
• Cure those cuticles. Soak your nails in warm water for about five minutes and then, using an orange stick, slowly push your cuticles back. Mix three tablespoons of hand lotion with one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and microwave for 30 seconds. Rub the mixture into your cuticles and nail beds and sleep with gloves on.
• Tomatoes contain a high amount of biotin that aids nail growth as well as makes them thick and shiny. Plus, tomatoes have vitamins A and C that are essential for healthy nails and skin. Mix half a cup of tomato juice and two tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Soak your nails in this solution for 10 minutes. Do this once daily until you get the desired results.
To keep your nails shiny and healthy avoid exposing your nails to harsh chemicals, including cleaning products. When working or cleaning, wear gloves to protect your nails from damage.