With lockdown in full effect you may not want to go buy hot cross buns this Easter.
Here is an easy recipe to make your own at home.
You will need:
• Three quarters of a cup warm water.
• Three tablespoons butter.
• One tablespoon instant powdered milk.
• A quarter cup white sugar.
• A pinch of salt.
• One egg.
• One egg white.
• Three cups all-purpose flour.
• One tablespoon active dry yeast.
• Three quarters of a cup dried currants.
• One teaspoon ground cinnamon.
• One egg yolk.
• Two tablespoons water.
• Half a cup icing sugar.
• A quarter teaspoon vanilla extract.
• Two teaspoons milk.
What to do:
Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, a quarter cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour, and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program.
When five minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till double.
Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Mix egg yolk and two tablespoons water. Brush on balls.
Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
To make the crosses, mix together the icing sugar, vanilla, and milk. Place glaze in a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off; pipe a cross onto each roll.
• Information obtained from www.allrecipes.com