During lockdown, most of us are only using our cars for quick trips to buy essentials; some of us aren’t using our cars at all.
But it’s important to look after vehicles during this time, and maintain a few essential components, especially if it’s an older model. Here is Imperial Auto’s lockdown vehicle care, to-do list:
- Take this opportunity to give your car a good clean – inside and out. Rope the family in and make it a fun activity
- If possible, park your car under cover while it’s not in use. If it must be parked out in the sun and you don’t have a cover for it, put sunshades or towels over the dashboard to protect it from the sun
- Cover any air intakes with a cloth and if the car is going to be standing for a good few weeks, you may consider stuffing a rag into the exhaust. This will prevent bugs and unwanted critters getting in there.
- If you have not started your vehicle since lockdown began, you should do so now. Start it every few days. If you have an older vehicle you should consider disconnecting your battery to prevent it from draining
- Place cling wrap under the wiper blades to prevent them from sticking to the windshield. (Don’t forget the rear wiper blade)
Once lockdown is lifted it will be a good idea to do an overall check on your vehicle and remember to undo all the storage prep you did originally. Here’s our post lockdown to-do list:
- Remove rags you may have placed in the exhaust pipe
- Inspect the windshield wipers to see if the rubber is cracked or brittle and remove cling wrap
- Check the tyre pressure and, if necessary, re-inflate to the recommended pressure
- Check all fluids
- If you’ve disconnected the battery, reconnect and check that the battery terminals are clean
- Wash off any dust or dirt your car may have accumulated whilst standing
- Should your car be sounding a bit rough or feel a bit sluggish, you may need to take it for a workshop check
For more tips, visit imperialauto on Facebook.