Planning a night out?
If you want to step out in style and make an impression, then keep these grooming tips in mind.
• Get a haircut. Visit your usual barber or hairstylist about a week before the event. By giving your hair a week to recover from the shock of the cut, it will look right on the day.
• Shave. To avoid skin irritation (which will be worsened by the tux shirt collar and show clearly in the photos), shave each day during the week before.
• Scent sense. The good, clean smell of soap, deodorant and after-shave, should be just fine for you.
• Minty fresh. Keep some breath mints in your pocket; you never know when they might come in handy.
• Go the extra mile. There are certain grooming tips that will show you’ve gone the extra mile for your partner. A manicure, for example, is an inexpensive procedure and will leave your hands looking great with clean fingernails and smooth skin.
Several days before the event, lay out the clothes you plan to wear. Make sure you have everything covered:
• Polished shoes.
• Appropriately-coloured socks (usually black).
• Tuxedo or suit.
• Tuxedo shirt or dress shirt (starched).
• Cufflinks (optional).
• Shirt studs for a tuxedo shirt.
• Collar stays for a dress shirt.
• Bow tie or long tie (in an appropriate colour nothing too loud or garish).
• Waistcoat (optional).
Two final shirt-related details
• If you ask the dry cleaner to put medium starch in your tuxedo shirt or dress shirt, you’ll look crisp all night long.
• Make sure you wear a comfortable cotton T-shirt under your shirt in case you end up breaking into a sweat on the dance floor.