Whether you are simply popping out to the shops for some groceries or planning an extended shopping spree at your favourite mall, it is important to be careful where you park your car.
Below are some tips from the SAPS for motorists to keep in mind when they are out and about.
- Avoid parking your vehicle where there are no security officers guarding other cars.
- Make sure all the doors and windows are properly locked when you park your vehicle.
- Valuable items, like laptops and cameras, should be put in the boot of your vehicle if left in the vehicle while parked.
- At night, park in well-lit areas.
- Practise the same prevention skills you apply in parking lots or garages at home.
- Do not leave your keys in the ignition.
- Remove detachable radios and the radio’s face when getting out of the car.
- Try to fit an alarm and/or anti-theft device in your car.