The December holidays are filled with festive spirit, friends and family, outings, and many other exciting things. It is also a time to rest and recharge and to spend time with loved ones.
‘We all thoroughly deserve the time to relax with our friends and families. If we remember a few basic security measures, we can make a big difference towards enjoying this time of year in safety,’ said Charnel Hattingh, Head of Marketing and Communications for Fidelity ADT.
The first and most important step to take, she said, is to regularly test your alarm to ensure that it is in good working order.
It is also a good idea to let your security company know what your holiday plans are and how best to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency.
Additional security tips to make sure your property is protected and safe:
- Cut back any bushes or trees that may offer easy access over walls or gates to your property or provide places for criminals to hide
- Inform your neighbours and neighbourhood watch of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property
- If hiring a house-sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly
- If you don’t have a house-sitter, ask a neighbour or a friend to turn on lights occasionally so that there is a sense that someone is around. If this is not possible, consider putting your outside lights on a timer
- Double-check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home
- Turn off your geyser and any unnecessary electrical appliances so you can save on electricity and be environmentally friendly
Be careful and discreet about packing for a long journey and to not give any indication that your home might be unattended for an extended period.
The key thing to remember is to make sure that everyone in your family is prepared and that they know exactly what to do in the case of an emergency.