We often take for granted the work that our bones and joints do – in fact, how often do we really think about it? For most of us getting up to walk across the room or bending down is an instant reaction, and it is often done without much thinking involved.
“Acts such as walking, running, bending, picking-up and reaching are all taken as part and package of being able to move; we never really think about what we are doing, and just carry on with our daily lives,” says Odette Vass, brand manager for OsteoEze.
World Bone and Joint week comes around every year, and this year takes place from 12 – 20 October; but very few people know about it and if they do, barely give it any consideration. So, then, why do we even have this day on our calendars? This week is meant to highlight the importance of the role that these parts of our bodies play in our daily lives. If you suffer from severe long-term pain this can be attributed to your bones and joints and the lack of care given to them over the years. This can result in musculoskeletal conditions such as back pain, arthritis, osteoporosis and childhood conditions, and can lead to diminished productivity and quality of life.
Looking after your joints early on in life can help curb problems that may occur. Vass suggests the following tips:
- Maintain a healthy body weight: Looking after your weight is also looking after your joints. By carrying excess weight, you are putting added strain onto your joints.
- Keep active: Exercising daily improves joint mobility and can help alleviate joint pain. The pain and stiffness in your joints can get worse if you don’t exercise, as this gets the joints moving. But, always remember to stretch before and after you exercise; it is important to warm-up and keep your joints warm.
- Reduce stress: When you are stressed your body produces the stress hormone cortisol, which drives down the production of collagen needed for healthy joints.
- Take daily supplements: OsteoEze® Gold* is formulated with high dosages of Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help build healthy cartilage, improve joint mobility and reduce stiffness and swelling.
- Don’t ignore pain: Pain is there for a reason and it is important that you understand that you wouldn’t be hurting if there wasn’t something wrong. Many people continue to exercise through the pain, and only cause more damage to the joint. If you are experiencing recurring pain make sure to go see your doctor and take OsteoEze® Acute*, a herbal anti-inflammatory with Boswellia, Curcumin and Ginger which reduces pain and inflammation.
This World Bone and Joint week, take a moment to remember the work that goes into lifting, bending and walking – and remember to take care of your bones and joints that enable you to do all these daily activities.
*Efficacy of support between users may vary. This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.