Given that social media has become part of our daily lives, selfies have become part of many holidaygoers’ routine. Unfortunately, if you get the angle wrong, your pics are less likely to make the Insta-worthy cut.
Here are a few handy tips for better selfies:
1. Use a selfie stick. As soon as you hold the camera too close to you, you tend to get a fish-eye effect which might add some weight.
2. Always take a selfie facing the sun. This way you will use the available light to you advantage and keep shadows to a minimum.
3. Golden hour! The ideal time for selfies is between 05:00 and 07:00 and 17:00 and 18:00 – known as golden hour. Natural light during this time provides the best natural, most subtle light.
4. Look for three elements to include in your photo. Classify yourself as one element and add two more. Examples of such are windmills, reflection of a sunrise or sunset – or whatever fits your location.
5. Facial expression is essential – look happy and excited – show your teeth.
6. Use background items to you advantage – like the Tower of Piza, or pretend like you’re holding the sun – remember to do the latter during golden hour.
7. Aim you camera upward as lower angles works best for selfies.
8. If you see a celebrity, use it to you advantage – most of them do not mind, and it is the best way to attract your followers’ attention.
9. Use your rule of thirds. This basically means dividing your phone’s screen into thirds, and using one third to place yourself in, and another two to place your other two elements.
10. Animals makes photos much more cute.