The holidays are over; it’s back to work and the deadlines are piling up, and then, to top it all off, the children are starting a new school year. As parents, we all know that when the school year begins the chances are high that in a week’s time your child is going to be coughing and sniffling.
“Children are exposed to different types of germs when they start a new school year,” says Lindie Pretorius brand manager for Linctagon®. “As parents, we often ask ourselves how we can prevent our children from getting sick and reduce their amount of absent days at school; but most of the time it is out of our control.”
We can try to get ahead of the school germ swap by teaching our children what they must and must not do:
- Wash your hands before and after you eat, and after you go to the bathroom. Keeping a small hand sanitiser in their school bag is also another step to stop the spreading of germs.
- If you sneeze and cough, do so into tissue but throw it away as soon as you have used it.
- Don’t let classmates touch your face. Germs can carry from touch to touch and are easily spread this way.
- Don’t share food and drinks with classmates; this is a sure way for germs to spread.
- A reasonable bedtime helps to strengthen a child’s immune system and help fight off germs.
So, you have prepared your children, but this doesn’t mean that they won’t get sick. The question is – are you prepared? You and your medicine cabinet need to be back to school ready as well:
Step 1: Go through all your current medication and check the expiry dates. Any expired medication needs to be removed and replaced.
Step 2: Make sure that you have something to address the following symptoms:
- Stuffy noses
- Diarrhoea and constipation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pains and fever
Step 3: All non-medication items such as tissues, hand sanitiser, petroleum jelly, and thermometers need to be stored so that it is easily accessible, and that you won’t be looking for anything at the last minute.
Step 4: “Use a brand that you can trust, and that you know works,” says Pretorius. “You can’t be running back and forth to the pharmacy while your child is sick.”
Linctagon® has a full junior range that can help with a variety of colds and flu symptoms; from coughing to a blocked nose. From throat lollies to effervescent, to viral defence support, Linctagon®, formulated with Pelargonium to help address colds and flu faster, is the trusted option when it comes to stocking up your medicine cabinet in preparation for back-to-school illnesses.