Doing yoga first thing in the morning helps to balance your breath and push the blood to go through veins, improving the functions of internal organs and making your body always full of energy.
Here are three yoga poses to try early morning in the comfort of your own home:
1. Diaphragmatic breath
- Place one hand on the heart and one had on the belly. This can be done sitting up, lying down, or any position that can afford you some stillness.
- Begin by inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth.
- As you continue, try to make your exhales just a bit longer than your inhales. Start with inhaling for three seconds and exhaling for four seconds.
2. Cat and cow
- Use the hands anchored to the fronts of knees or ground.
- Inhale and pull the heart and chest through the arms lifting the chin gently.
- Even though the belly is moving forward, keep the lower navel pulled in slightly to protect the low back.
- Exhale and round the back, dropping chin to chest; feel the shoulder blades move apart here.
- Inhale to reach both arms up.
- Exhale using the front hand to anchor to the opposite knee and backhand to place behind you.
- With each inhale elongate through the crown of the head and use the exhale to deepen the twist.
- Repeat on other side.