Our lives have pretty much been turned upside down over the past few weeks. Orbit Sugar-Free Gum gets that the lockdown has presented some very unique challenges – from maintaining our jobs and finding ways to meet online, hooking up with that hot bae or connecting with our family and friends while stuck at home. There’s no doubt about it – it’s been weird and it’s been real.
But rather than focus on the negative, every problem presents a potential lesson and, as most of our communications have had to move into a virtual space, Orbit wants to share how to shine online during this time.
If this pandemic is anything to go by, online interaction is going to be an even bigger part of our lives from here on. So check out Orbit’s top tips of the DOs and DON’Ts for online comms for now and into the future.
Schools in sesh.
- Consider lighting and camera positioning for video calls. A shot of your forehead or you mumbling from the shadows with only a creepy glow from your computer might not be the impression you want to put out there. Side lighting is best.
- Dress appropriately. Your onesie may be cute but it might be hard for your work colleagues or clients to take you seriously. And, for dating online, your troll suit or PJs might be a little too familiar right off the bat. We know it is tempting – but get dressed for online success! Even if you keep your trackies on for comfort but throw on a smarter top.
- Be aware of your video settings and microphone settings. We’re sure you have important stuff to share, so rather than have your words fall on muted ears, make sure your 2-minute monologue lands on the other side.
- Be on time. Much like in real life, being late ain’t great.
- Mute your microphone whenever you’re not speaking. Background noise can create interference and no one wants to hear your flatmate let one rip from the kitchen.
- Look into the camera. When you’re up to talk, rather than looking at yourself talking on the computer screen, look into the camera. Engage with eye contact. It really will help others on the call feel like you are 100 per cent present, interested and counted.
- Be confident. We know this might be a fairly new domain, but if you look and feel your best – fresh, awake, sparkly and wonderful – you can put forward the best version of yourself. Orbit Sugar-Free Gum can help you with that. Remember, this is your time to shine online.
- Abandon your make-up routine. Makeup can be an instant mood booster and by taking even a few minutes to polish your look before you go online, it can make you appear more in charge, more together and simply amaaazing.
- Check or read emails or your messages on your phone while on the video call. Focus peeps. You can check everything after the call but while online, give it your full attention to show the boss, clients, friends or family that you are in it to win it.
- Forget the background. The view behind you should be work-appropriate and your surroundings clean. So, remove that tattered Bob Marley poster, clean up or find a different space. This also includes your desk! 3 dirty coffee mugs and an empty spag bol dish won’t communicate you mean business.
- Don’t force it. If you are not comfortable in your space, it will be very apparent during your video call. Just pick a space where you feel relaxed and settle in so you can be yourself confidently.
That just about covers the basics. If you have any top tips to share or want to show us how truly awesome you are in your home space, join the convo on #yourtimetoshine.
Orbit urges all South Africans to stay safe and keep shining!