Whether it’s the week’s veggies, mounds of spring scarves or children’s toys, this rack is not only a practical way to add extra storage space, but will make a feature out of your goodies.
Extra storage space never goes unwanted and when it adds a little pizzazz to an empty wall, it’s all the more welcome. This handy rack put together by BUCO is easy to assemble and will have those loose items lying around sorted in no time.
You will need
- 1 bundle of 1,2m length knotty pine planks. The bundles can be bought pre-packed at BUCO. For this project, you will require seven planks, but it can be widened by using more, depending on your preference.
- 2 wood cleats, cut the width of the pine planks that have been assembled.
- 1 screw and wall plug for hanging up the rack.
- 4 screws for attaching the cleats.
- 3 large cup hooks.
- Wood glue.
- Paint in your choice of colour.
- Set of three baskets, available from BUCO.
- Paint the planks in a colour of your choice.
- Once they have dried, put a thin strip of glue on the planks where they clip into each other and clip all the planks in place. Allow the glue to dry.
- Screw the cleats onto the back of the board to keep it sturdy.
- Mark the board where the cup hooks must be screwed in by measuring evenly spaced spots.
- Drill a hole into the wall where you wish to hang the board and put in the wall plug and screw.
- Hang up the board followed by the baskets.
BUCO has collaborated with Get It to feature a creative project each month. If you require any assistance with putting this rack together or need a bit of inspiration for your home crafts, visit Celia Swart in BUCO’s decor section.
Text: LINDI BOTHA. Photographer: MATTHYS FERREIRA