We are going to braai on September 24, the meat is going to sizzle on the braai and the side dishes will be ready. However, we can’t help but highlight one of the most crucial elements of a braai – the braaibroodjie.
We stumbled upon Jan Braai’s recipe and this will surely be a hit on your braai.
The Biltong Braaibroodjie
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 tot olive oil, 2 red onions, sliced, 1 tot soft brown sugar, 1 tot balsamic vinegar, 1 cup biltong (finely chopped), 1 tub plain cream cheese, 1 cup white cheddar cheese (grated), 2 red onions, 12 slices white bread and butter to spread on the outside of the bread.
WHAT TO DO:
- Heat oil in your pan and fry the onions until soft.
- Add the sugar and balsamic to the onions and let it simmer over low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes until the onions are sweet and sticky. Set aside to cool.
- Use a food blender or your sharpest knife to chop your biltong.
- Spread the outsides of the bread with butter.
- Spread a nice thick layer of cream cheese on one side of the bread.
- Top with caramelised onions and then biltong.
- Lastly, sprinkle the grated cheese over and cover with another slice of bread that is buttered on the outside.
- Place the bread into a hinged braai grid and braai over medium heat, turning often, until the bread is toasted on the outside and the cheese melted on the inside.