- 1 bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as kombu or wakame
- 1 thumb size chunk of ginger, crushed and unpeeled
- 2 whole, unpeeled garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 500g udon noodles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ¼ cup mirin
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 100g baby bok choi, sliced down each centre
- ½ cup white miso
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped, for garnish
Begin with the broth: In a large pot, bring 2 litres of water to a boil over high heat. Add all of the broth ingredients. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes with the lid on. Strain and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook udon noodles until al dente, then drain and rinse under cold water to stop them cooking further.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and button mushrooms and sauté until tender. Add ginger, garlic, mirin, sesame oil and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute. Pour in reserved broth and bring to a simmer. Add bok choi, udon noodles and miso and stir gently for 2 minutes until greens are cooked and noodles are heated through.
Divide noodles among bowls and ladle hot soup over. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve.