Watch out for . . .
Well-known Ballito family practitioner Dr Kim Bishop has a special interest in family and women’s health and nutrition and fitness. She offers some helpful tips on what medical checks you should be doing and what you should be looking out for.
In your 20’s:
– Check: blood pressure, HIV, pap smears, HPV, eyes (especially regarding screen time), dental;
– Remember: flu vaccines, sun protection;
– Monitor your: weight, height, physical activity and diet, contraception;
– Watch out for: tobacco and alcohol use, mental health (depression, anxiety), family history (especially cancer, cholesterol, DM, HPT, thyroid).
In your 30’s
– All the same as above, and . . .
– Manage intensifying stress levels
In your 40’s:
– The same as above, as well as . . .
– Check: pre or peri-menopause (blood tests) – choosing HRT and contraception, more aggressive cancer screening and mammography testing
– Remember: start taking Folic Acid
In your 50’s:
– As above, as well as . . .
– Check: very aggressive cancer screening, colonoscopy, mammography, bone density, lungs
– Remember: stay up to date with vaccines.
In your 60’s, 70’s, 80’s & 90’’s:
– As above, and . . .
– Check: mammography, bone density;
– Remember: increase vitamin D and keep up exercise and vaccines;
– Watch out for: Falls and consider who will make health care decisions for you if you can’t.
Dr Kim Bishop: General practitioner, Active Care Clinic, Ballito Junction Regional Mall, 032 586 0949, [email protected]
Text: Leah Shone