World Chocolate Day is on July 7 and we couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than with these Maker’s Mark bourbon infused chocolate delights.
Maker’s Mark Bourbon Balls
These bite size balls of chocolate filled with whisky soaked pecans and a nutty finish have us on cloud 9.
Makes 48 Bourbon Balls
- 2 tbsp. Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- 1 cup bourbon-soaked chopped pecans
- 450g confectioners’ sugar + 2 cups extra
- 115g unsalted butter
- 250ml unsweetened baking chocolate
- 4 tbsp. grated paraffin cooking wax
- Whole pecans for topping each bourbon ball
- DO AHEAD: Place pecans in a jar – add Maker’s Mark to cover 1 inch over pecans. Approx. 1-1/2 cups. Cover tightly with lid and let stand 7–10 days for pecans to absorb bourbon flavour.
- Drain bourbon-soaked pecans thoroughly and set aside. Discard the whisky. It will be bitter and unusable now.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter by using an electric mixer.
- Add 1 pound sugar and Maker’s Mark Bourbon alternately to the butter until blended.
- Gently stir in pecans.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow the mixture to stiffen.
- Place 2 cups sugar in a small bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator. Scoop tablespoon-sized portions from mixture. Drop into sugar and then roll 1-inch ball. Place on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate and paraffin cooking wax in a small double boiler or use a coffee mug in a pan of boiling water. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a long toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Immediately top with a whole pecan and allow to cool.
- Serve at room temperature. Store in refrigerator covered for up to 2 weeks.
Maker’s Mark Flourless Bourbon Brownie
A rich, whisky infused cakey celebration (and they’re gluten free!).
Makes 12 Brownies
- 1-1/4 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1/4 cup Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan, line with parchment paper or foil and butter the parchment.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter and bourbon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts. Stir in the cocoa powder until smooth. Remove from the heat and immediately add 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar until well-combined. Transfer to the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top.
- Bake until the top is glossy and a toothpick inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Lift out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into 12 bars.
Check out our Maker’s Mark review here: Maker’s Mark bourbon