We all know the Buddha bowl has surged in popularity over the past few years and has both visual and nutritional appeal … especially when topped with avo.
The South African Avocado Growers’ Association explains how these dishes came to be referred to as Buddha bowls. “Legend tells us that the Buddha, who searched for enlightenment in Nepal over 2 500 years ago, began his day walking the streets with a high-sided bowl into which people would donate food. This vegan mixture was his daily fare, although sadly he would not have been treated to an avocado, which was only introduced to India in the early 20th century,” says the association.
“Today, avocado is considered essential to a Buddha bowl, which has also moved on from its vegan beginnings to encompass proteins of all kinds. And with the South African avocado season currently in full swing, now is an excellent time to start making your own.”
The association shared a tasty recipe for an avo, sweet potato and brown rice Buddha bowl.
Preparation time 40 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
|· 2 cups orange sweet potato or butternut, cubed and cooked
· 2 cups brown rice/barley/spelt, cooked
· 2 cups frozen shelled edamame beans, or fresh peas, blanched
· 2 cups trimmed and roughly chopped sugar snap peas or thinly sliced broccoli florets
· 2 cups chopped red cabbage, spinach, lettuce, or kale (ribs removed)
|· 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and thinly sliced into long strips
· 1 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
· Thinly sliced spring onion
· Lemon wedges
· Sesame seeds
Ingredients for the dressing
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and stoned
- 4 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Divide the rice/veggie mixture and raw veggies into 4 bowls. Arrange cucumber slices around the edge of the bowl. Place a lemon wedge or 2 in each bowl. Garnish with sesame seeds and micro herbs.
- When you’re ready to serve, divide the avocado into the bowls. Lightly drizzle with the dressing, squeeze lemon juice over the avocado, followed by a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds and sea salt.
Method for the dressing
- Whizz all ingredients together in a blender, add a couple of tablespoons of cold water if necessary to reach a pouring consistency.