Often grabbed on-the-go or sometimes as a square meal replacement, people snack for a variety of reasons, whether good or bad.
Regardless of the motive, avoid mindless snacking as this can often lead to overeating and as a result, unnecessary weight gain or health issues.
‘While there has been an improvement in terms of healthier options when it comes to what people eat during breakfast, lunch and dinner – it is usually during snacking times that we tend to add foods such as chips or chocolate which offer little nutrition,’ says Kershnee Kallee, Marketing Manager from Jungle
Here are a few easy ways to ensure your snacks are healthy ones.
Fuel up with fibre: Fibre not only helps with a regular digestive system but some types of fibre also help with blood sugar and blood cholesterol control. Enjoying a handful of trail mix that can consist of raisins, nuts, seeds and some Jungle Muesli or granola is a great way to incorporate fibre.
Pack in the protein: Protein-rich snack options, including cheese, Greek yoghurt and hummus, are best known for managing hunger levels as these snacks tend to keep you fuller for longer while serving an important role in bone and muscle health.
Not all carbs are bad: Carbohydrates are a great source of energy and can be found in grains such as Oats, air-popped popcorn and roasted chickpeas. These snack options are high in dietary fibre too.
Enjoy the good fats: Enjoy unsweetened nut butter, vegetable oils and avocados which are all a great source of unsaturated fats. Including these in your next snack time ensures the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E and K which together perform hundreds of important roles for the body.
Next time you’re looking for something convenient to snack, go ahead and try this seeded date and granola energy bars that are not only delicious to eat but won’t break the calorie bank either:
Makes 12 bars
- 12 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 60g sunflower seeds
- 70g pumpkin seeds
- 50g walnuts
- 280g Jungle Muesli Cinnamon Granola
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 75ml coconut oil, melted
- 10ml honey
- 30ml water
- 2,5ml mixed spice
- 50g dark (70%) chocolate, melted
- Place the dates, seeds, walnuts and Jungle Muesli Cinnamon Granola in a large processor.
- Blitz until coarse breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, and pulse once more until well combined.
- Transfer to a lined 20cm square baking tin.
- Press down firmly and chill for three hours or overnight.
- Drizzle with chocolate and slice into bars.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.