Turns out, vitamin C should not only be a priority in your diet – it is also a powerful ingredient in your skincare routine…especially during the sunny, summer months.
Here are five reasons why this miracle worker is a must for your skin:
- Boosts collagen production: Who doesn’t love a little help in the collagen department? Our bodies unfortunately produce less of the natural protein as we age, causing our skin to sag and allowing those pesky lines and wrinkles to set in. Vitamin C is critical for our skin to produce collagen through the process of collagen synthesis. More collagen means firmer, more elastic skin with an overall tighter effect.
- Improves the skin’s tolerance for the sun: This is particularly important during the summer. Using an effective vitamin C product alongside your broad spectrum SPF can increase your protection from sun damage, thanks to vitamin C’s antioxidant qualities that prevent oxidative damage and neutralise the damage caused by free radicals. When using a vitamin C serum or cream with your sunscreen, you’ll enjoy optimum protection.
- Protects skin from hyperpigmentation: The sun is the number one cause of hyperpigmentation (dark marks) and uneven skin tone. That’s why those of us who are prone to it, experience darkening of hyperpigmentation during summer. When our skin is exposed to the sun, it produces melanin, the substance responsible for pigment in the skin. When melanin is overproduced, it results in hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C helps inhibit the production of melanin by decreasing the activity of an enzyme called tyrosinase. Vitamin C helps to prevent the formation of hyperpigmentation, but it also has the ability to lighten existing hyperpigmentation. Win win!
- Creates that glow: Many of us struggle with a dull or tired-looking complexion after winter. Vitamin C is known to brighten the skin, leaving it with that sought-after “lit from within” glow. It’s also a great ingredient for those of us who are feeling (and thus looking) a little tired after a long year, as its brightening effect is particularly effective in areas like around the eyes, where tiredness sets in first.
- Reduces acne and breakouts: Acne and breakouts can strike any time of the year, but because skin gets oilier and sweatier during summer, it’s common during the warmer months. Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and speed up the process of healing breakouts. It is also effective at treating scars left behind by pimples (known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Additionally, vitamin C can help reduce the formation of acne thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties that help control the skin’s natural sebum production.
Some of our fave vitamin C boosting skincare products for the summer include:
- For sensitive skin: If your skin usually struggles with vitamin C, the Lamelle Correctives Vita C-Lipid Serum, R985.00, is just what you need, as it was specifically made for sensitive skin and contains 20% vitamin C, jojoba seed oil and ginger root extract.
- All-in-one: If you don’t have sensitive skin and are new to vitamin C in your skincare routine, we recommend trying the Lamelle Correctives Recharge CE (R960.00). This entry-level product for skin that can tolerate ascorbic acid, offers powerful antioxidant protection, reduced signs of ageing and creates a more even skin tone and increased radiance.
- Intensive results: If you need results asap, Lamelle Correctives Vita C 30 (R1090.00) is for you. Boasting 30% ascorbic acid – the highest-concentration non-prescription ascorbic acid available – this is your go-to for more intensive, age correcting results or if you’re exposed to more free radical damage than normal (smokers, road runners or those who spend more time outdoors).