It’s takes skill, time management and some pretty good juggling skills to be able to pull off the role Ballito’s Desiree Stone does every day. As the CEO of Mount Edgecombe Country Club Estate (both estate one and two), and manager of the Mount Edgecombe Country Club, she has got her work cut out for her. But she’s up for the challenge!
With its strong emphasis on sport, family and safety, Mount Edgecombe Country Club Estate (MECCE) is arguably still one of the best golfing residential estates to live in on the North Coast, if not the country. Having gone through a remarkable transformation over the past four years, MECCE recently restructured their management team and Desiree was named CEO of estate one and two and manager of the country club. No mean feat. But, with her more than 26 years’ experience in the golfing and country club industry, Desiree was the perfect candidate for the job. We found out a little more about the woman behind the job.
1. What does a day in your life look like? One thing is for sure – no two days are ever the same. Just when you think things are going to be quiet, something pops up. I guess that’s one of the things I love about my job – it’s never boring! Running both the country club and the two estates keeps me busy and people often ask me how I do it. The answer is simple: I just tackle it task by task and take everything in my stride. As soon as you become angry or flustered you make a bad decision. I am fortunate to have a fantastic support team on both estates as well as a strong management team at the country club, which ensures my day-to-day- responsibilities are all met.
2. Tell us a little about yourself and your family. I have been married to my husband, Kevin, for 29 years and we have two sons, Brandon and Jarryd. Brandon plays on the European and Sunshine Tours and recently married Anette. Jarryd started his degree at Stellenbosch this year, after matriculating from Pretoria Boys High as Head of Solomon House. We are extremely proud of both our boys’ achievements!
3. How do you enjoy spending your downtime? We live in Ballito and love walking along the promenade. There is also nothing better than putting my feet up and enjoying a chilled glass of vino in the evenings! My three roles at work keep me rather busy so in between work, walking and traveling to see our sons, I don’t have too much spare time. I am very fortunate to work in such a beautiful environment and love what I do, so it really doesn’t feel like ‘work’ all the time!
4. What is your advice to young women wanting to move up in their careers? My advice would be to stay focussed and determined and set your goals high. Believe in yourself and you can achieve success. Don’t ever give up, as hard work pays off!
5. What, in your opinion, sets Mount Edgecombe Country Club apart from others? I think it is the existence of the extremely active club where families can enjoy a wide range of sports, entertainment and family activities – all within a safe and secure environment – and at reasonable prices. We are proud of what we have been able to achieve at MECC over the past three years and there is still so much we are striving to accomplish to make this undoubtedly the best golfing and residential estate to live on in the country.