There is no question that one of the best things about living on the North Coast is our year-round great weather and there is a growing trend towards more outdoor living through the use of verandas, patios and other outdoor spaces.
We all want to spend more time outdoors at home. But, in order to do so comfortably, you need to invest in some good quality outdoor furniture. Ballito-based family-run outdoor furniture company Blue Bay Lifestyle Furniture has a range of remarkable outdoor furniture, perfect for our climate.
We asked managing director David Pearce to share some advice when selecting outdoor furniture for your home. “Having stylish, functional furniture is an essential part of creating a comfortable, liveable outdoor area, but it is how you accessorise and decorate the space that brings it all together.”
David’s top outdoor living area tips:
1. Mix it up: Unique furniture will really make your outdoor area stand out. A major trend at the moment is the use of mixed materials such as aluminium with wicker or wood.
2. Mother nature: Connecting with nature in the home through the use of natural wood and raw materials and greenery is a major décor trend that is being incorporated outdoors too. The use of synthetic rope offers a new take on wicker and wood always makes a statement when crafted into stylishly designed furniture. Accessorise your outdoor area with greenery in the shape of beautifully potted or hanging plants, trees in baskets or vases with statement arrangements.
3. Light it up: The right lighting can make all the difference to your outdoor living area. From delicate fairy lights to large, outdoor carnival-style string lights and statement standing lights, there is so much to choose from! Our personal favourite is candlelight and oversized hurricane lanterns with a wicker, brass or bamboo finish.
4. Colouring in: Adding a splash of colour to your outdoor décor is an easy and affordable way to create a bright, bold and fun atmosphere. Scatter cushions in vivid colours or funky prints are a must as are candles in different colours, shapes and sizes. We also love the coloured tableware, glassware and crockery available at the moment.
5. Nurture and Protect: As much as aesthetics are important when it comes to creating your ideal outdoor space, looking after your furniture is just as crucial, if not more so! Invest in outdoor furniture that is treated or protected by a guarantee or warranty of some kind. To be extra careful, consider protective covers which are great for protecting against all of the elements (dogs included!).
You can find Blue Bay Lifestyle Furniture’s showroom in Ballito and they will also be on display at the East Coast Radio House & Garden Show from 28 June to 7 July at the Durban Exhibition Centre.