Last night’s opening performance of Disney on Ice’s Magical Ice Festival at Durban’s ICC was full of magic and wonder and, in true Disney style, a few fun surprises! The show featured loads of our old-school Disney favourites like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Rapunzel and, of course, every little girl’s favourite . . . Frozen. Here are five reasons why we loved the show!
- The merch: As soon as you make your way inside the ICC you are surrounded by brightly coloured merchandise stalls selling flashing swords, beautiful light-up wands, dolls and toys and t-shirts! It just feels like a Disney wonderland. The best part though, is seeing moms (and an impressive number of dads) walking around wearing flashing Mickey and Minnie Mouse ears, crowns and Olaf masks!
- The food: Popcorn, slushies and mini donuts for days! What would a good show be without a box of popcorn? There are also very cool themed snow-cone cups and outside you’ll find mini donut and chip twister stands. The coffee inside is pretty good too!
- The show itself: The costumes, set and, of course, the skating . . . as always, the cast and crew of Disney On Ice have managed to create an explosion of magic on the ice. The outfits are exquisite, as are the special effects and phenomenal ice skating. The music is great and you can’t help but feel a bit overwhelmed when you hear a chorus of little girls around you singing ‘Let It Go’ at the tops of their voices!
- The characters: Sebastian the crab, Olaf the snowman and Elsa the ice queen . . . everyone has their favourite character! Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy also make appearances as the hosts of the show!
- The magic: No matter how many times you watch a Disney On Ice show, you will always go home with a little magic in your heart . . . (and a song from Frozen stuck in your head!).
Details: Disney On Ice Magical Ice Festival runs until Sunday 7 July at the Durban ICC with both day and night time shows available. Tickets range from R120 to R475 per person and there are family packages available. Booking at Computicket.