Zoom calls, kids’ lunches, cooking dinner… there’s a whole heap of stress many of us are under, especially now with the current pandemic we face. Using the their home kitchens to make delicious, locally sourced meals to go, Westville moms and founders of FreeFromFood , Christine van Niekerk And Chef Nell van Rooyen are hard at work knocking up designer meal packages aimed at taking the worry out of your mealtime. We recently indulged in their Vegan Thai Roast Butternut Soup which we loved so much, we asked them to share the recipe with us (and you) because with the weather expected to be miserable this weekend, this is definitely going to be on our dinner menu. Hope you enjoy!
THAI ROAST BUTTERNUT SOUP (Vegan)
30ml olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
15ml Thai green curry paste
1 kg butternut, peeled and cubed
500g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 T maple syrup
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tin coconut milk 400ml
1 tin chickpeas
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan and saute onions together with Thai green curry paste until soft.
- Roast cubed butternut and sweet potato with the remainder of olive oil and season with salt. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon maple syrup over roasted vegetables.
- Add roasted butternut and sweet potato to onion mixture and pour in vegetable stock, coconut milk and stir.
- Blend and season to taste. If too thick, add a little more liquid.
- Roast chickpeas with remainder maple syrup in oven until caramelised.
- Gently heat soup, pour into bowls and garnish with caramelised chickpeas.