Every year, as 1 January rolls around, it’s time for the post-holiday body review and subsequent self-inflicted punishment that takes the form of ‘New Year’s resolutions’. Crazy dieting, excessively visiting the gym, and cutting out carbs… these are some of the standard New Year’s resolutions. The more an individual feels (or the scale says) that there’s been over-indulgence, the more gruelling the New Year’s resolutions. But there’s just one problem – these resolutions are often completely unsustainable.
“It takes 21 days to form a new habit, but when the new habit you’re trying to form is completely unachievable, you’re setting yourself up for failure from the start,” explained Candice Sessions, Marketing Manager for Joekels, makers of the top-selling Tetley Green Tea. “We’d like to suggest something a little scandalous in 2021 – the end of New Year’s resolutions! No more punishments, no more body shaming, no more setting unattainable goals and feeling despondent when we can’t achieve them. We’d like to suggest something even more radical – self-care.”
Where New Year’s resolutions are centred on punishing oneself with low-calorie diets and gyming during every free moment; self-care is about making small, purposeful daily changes that make you feel better and inspired to continue the routine from one day to the next.
Here are some simple self-care tips from the team at Tetley Green Tea:
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Organise a walk around the neighbourhood, or in a safe public space, with a loved one (good for the body and the soul!).
- Drink a glass of water or cup of Tetley Green Tea before each meal to prevent over-eating.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day – ideally with water or homemade Tetley Green iced tea (check out some great iced tea recipes at www.joekels.co.za).
- Add just one cup of Tetley Green Tea to your daily diet to reap the many health benefits (check them out at https://www.joekels.co.za/blogs/tea-health-info/add-this-one-habit-to-your-daily-routine-and-you-ll-be-well-on-your-way-to-good-health).
- Have a bubble bath or read a book instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media and comparing yourself to the ‘social media highlights reel’ of contacts.
- Add a healthy twist to favourite dishes – or try a new one (see below!)
Mini Apple Pie bites with a Tetley Green Tea twist
Care for yourself from the inside out, by adding a health twist to the dishes you love! Try these delicious mini apple pie bites with a healthy Tetley Green tea Twist. Recipe developed by ‘Pass The Salt Blog’.
For the crust:
1 cup Almond flour
1 ½ cups Instant oats
1 tsp Baking powder
3 TBSP Butter, melted
3 TBSP Honey
A pinch of salt
For the apple filling:
4 Apples, cored & chopped
2 teabags Tetley Apple Flavoured Green tea
½ tsp Ground cinnamon
1 cup Boiling water
2 TBSP Honey
For the crust:
- Combine the almond flour, oats, baking powder, salt, egg, butter and honey in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into a greased silicone muffin mould, pushing well into the sides and creating a well in the centre of each mould.
- Place into a pre-heated180°C oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove once baked and allow to cool.
For the apple filling:
- Place the apples, Tetley Green Tea bags, cinnamon, boiling water and honey in a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until lightly poached. Remove the apples from the poaching liquid (reserving the liquid).
- Reduce the Tetley Green Tea apple liquid in a small saucepan for 5 minutes until sticky and reduced, and mix with the poached apples.
Spoon apples into the baked crust cups, top with Greek yoghurt and drizzle with honey.
For the YouTube recipe video, visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BCA8z4wdFY&feature=emb_logo
Take the #Tetley21DayChallenge, and care for yourself from the inside out!
To get started on your self-care journey, add just one cup of Tetley Green tea to your daily routine, for 21 days – whether it’s in a smoothie, iced tea or enjoyed hot – and you’ll be well on your way to caring for yourself from the inside out!
Stand a chance to win 1 of 2 amazing Tetley Green tea hampers worth R1 500 each, including a Russell Hobbs juicer. Simply add this one healthy habit to your daily routine and follow the steps on the Tetley Facebook or Instagram pages (@TetleyTeaSA).
For more information about Tetley’s products as well as some more delicious Tetley Green Tea recipes, visit www.joekels.co.za or @TetleyTeaSA on Facebook and Instagram.