Easter means those spicy Hot Cross Buns are going to be available for us to enjoy again. Well, what happens when you are craving a little something more pudding, still with all the flavour of the easter treats? We turn those buns into greater ‘yums’ with a creamy and warming bun and butter pudding! (vegan options available)
What you’ll need:
- B-WELL Canola Baking Spray
- 6 hot cross buns, sliced in half
- 4 medium free-range eggs / 5 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g butter , spread on the hot cross buns
- 160g Caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest of whole orange
- ¼ cup apricot jam or handful of chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups cream /coconut cream
- 1 cup milk / plant milk
- 3 Tbsp cognac/liquor/rum (Optional)
- Handful of choc chips or mini easter eggs, optional
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and spray some B-well Canola Baking Spray to grease a 20 x 20cm oven dish.
- Cut each Hot Cross Bun in half and lightly butter of both sides.
- In a medium saucepan, add the cream, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon, and cook over a low heat until the mixture is just starting to simmer.
- In the meantime, whisk the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until pale, then whisk in the milk and cream mixture.
Vegan version: Whisk the cornflour and sugar in to the cream and milk mixture until well combined, simmer gently for 6 mins- whisking continuously to allow no lumps. Remove off the heat.
- Dip each Hot Cross Bun half into the custard mixture and place in the grease oven dish, then sprinkle the orange zest and apricot pieces, or spoon out small bits of apricot jam and drop around. Drizzle the optional cognac/run over the top.
- Pour the rest of custard mixture carefully over the Hot Cross Buns and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the optional choc chips/ mini easter eggs all around.
- Place the pudding into the hot oven to cook for about 35 – 40 minutes, until golden on top and slightly set.
- Remove and serve with a dust of icing sugar and some vanilla ice cream / cream, or perhaps some fresh berries on the side! Enjoy the indulgence.