Enjoy granola but worried about all the extra sugar. We’re thoroughly enjoying the new Canderel Granola, with zero added sugars. Ideal for breakfasts, as well as for desserts and baking (it makes a great crust for a fridgecake), these are lower in calories and carbohydrates than many others on the shelves, while still being high in fibre, low in sodium and vegan friendly. Plus … they’re delicious. There’s Original, Four Seeds and Nuts and Seeds to choose from, from major supermarkets from R44.95 (and a strip of four small on-the-go packets for R18.95).
Blueberry, Almond & Orange Zest Breakfast Bar
200g porridge oats (not whole rolled oats)
200ml semi-skimmed milk (or plant based alternative)
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
Zest of one orange
20g Canderel® Original
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp almond butter – ideally crunchy
1/2 tbsp mixed seeds to decorate
2 handfuls of blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Melt together the coconut oil and almond butter and stir well. Add in the spices, orange zest and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, milk and eggs until fully mixed.
4. Combine the oat mixture with the coconut oil and nut butter mix. Add in the blueberries and carefully mix, being careful not to squash the berries.
5. Line a non-stick baking tray with a little coconut oil and pour in the mixture. Finish by sprinkling the top with mixed seeds or chopped nuts for an extra crunch.
6. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and is firm to touch – the mixture should still be moist in the centre.
7. Leave to cool and then cut into 8 pieces.
8. Place thinly sliced orange pieces on top to garnish.