This mouth-watering Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms & Parmesan Cheese recipe, shared by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association, will make for a hearty weeknight dinner.
Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms & Parmesan Cheese
15ml + 15ml olive oil
4 thick chicken breast fillets
2 garlic cloves, crushed
300g portabellini mushrooms
15ml cake flour
250ml chicken stock
80g parmesan cheese, grated
½ bunch spinach, chopped
milled black pepper
10ml lemon zest
30ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat 15ml oil in a casserole and season each chicken breast with paprika.
2. Sear the chicken breasts for 3 – 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the remaining olive oil and fry the garlic and mushrooms.
4. Return the chicken breasts to the casserole and set aside.
5. Melt the butter in a pan stir in the flour until it thickens.
6. Whisk in the chicken stock, cream, half of the Parmesan cheese and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
7. Return the casserole to the stove and pour the cream sauce over the top. Cover and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are tender.
8. Add the spinach and let simmer for another 2 – 3 minutes.
9. Season well with pepper, and add the lemon zest, parsley and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
10. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.