Whether you are a full-blown vegetarian, semitarian or just doing the odd Meatless Monday, today is definitely the day to enjoy all things veggie in celebration of World Vegetarian Day!
This day was created to ‘promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism’. Hear, hear!
This is the perfect time to celebrate vegetarianism and recognise the health and environmental benefits of reducing meat intake.
Dish up more love this Vegetarian Day with a tasty vegetarian feast that is quick, easy and absolutely delicious!
To save time peeling, slicing and dicing in the kitchen, we are going to call on KOO’s range of canned vegetables – which are cooked in the can, sealing in the goodness while being low in fat, containing no preservatives and acting as a source of dietary fiber.
Ok, let’s go!
Corn and Baby Marrow Frittata
1 can (410g) KOO whole kernel corn, drained
1 onion, chopped
125ml (½ cup) milk
6 large eggs
45ml (3 tablespoon) olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5ml (1 teaspoon) ground coriander
100g (½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
5ml (1 teaspoon) ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large tomato, peeled and diced
1 medium baby marrow, sliced
- Heat oil in an ovenproof frying pan or cast iron skillet; add onions, garlic, baby marrows, tomatoes, and KOO whole kernel corn.
- Sauté the vegetables over medium heat until soft. Season with cumin, coriander, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Once the vegetables have cooked down and most of their juices have evaporated, sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the pan. Move the vegetables around slightly with a fork or spoon to let the egg run underneath them.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and puffy.
- Serve sliced into wedges with a salad.