CALLING ALL WRITERS OR THOSE INTERESTED IN WRITING:
The South African Writers’ Circle will be holding its next meeting on Saturday 14 March 2020 at 10h00 in a room below the Westville Library.
A new committee was elected at the Annual General Meeting and we will start by introducing the office bearers present, who are:
- Sally Sinclair – Chairman
- Richard Newell – Vice Chairman
- Colin Sinclair – Treasurer
- Courtney Naicker – Secretary (Pietermaritzburg)
- Robin Jansen – Competitions Manager (Johannesburg)
- Nicole Engelbrecht – Newsletter Editor (Cape Town)
Richard Newell, a medical doctor and self-published author, whose book “A Sense of Smell and other stories” has made it into a “Must-Read” list for 2020 in a UK magazine, will then address us. After 40 odd years in various disciplines of medicine, Richard managed to overcome writer’s block and publish a monograph on healthy travel, an article on how we live and die in SA for The Salisbury Review (a British quarterly journal). A novel and a memoir are in embryo form. (See also his website www.richardnewellbooks.com).
Richard’s topic is: Trips and Traps of Self-Publishing
Thereafter the committee will discuss with our members and aspirant members:
- When you joined the Writers Circle what were you/are you hoping for?
- How has being a member benefited you?
- What would you like to see more of or less of in the future?
We will then enjoy a refreshments break in the garden alongside the meetings room. Please bring a plate of snacks to contribute.
After the refreshment break we will watch a recorded interview with a well-known author on their process of writing. This will be followed by a discussion.
Admission fees are: SAWC Members – R10
Non-members – R30
If you have not yet paid your 2020 subscription you may pay it in cash at the desk, or by electronic transfer to the SAWC banking account.