As the year-end approaches, it’s time for lazy summer days spent with family and friends. To celebrate this time appropriately, Laager Rooibos and its talented culinary ambassadors, Lebo and Tebo Ndala AKA @withlovefromthetwins have shared a delectable Rooibos-infused Christmas recipe – and some delightful stories of their festive memories.
“At Laager, we believe that family traditions are a key part of our memories and identity, and that spending quality time together truly replenishes the soul,” said Candice Sessions, Laager Marketing Manager. “After a challenging year, we all need to do things, and spend time with people, that uplift us. Our wonderful partners, Lebo and Tebo Ndala, are the embodiment of the Christmas spirit and are always ready to share some of their delicious Laager Rooibos-infused recipes to get everyone ready for the festive celebrations.”
Q&A with Lebo and Tebo
What are some of your favourite Christmas traditions?
Tebo: Our favourite Christmas traditions include being at home with our family and cooking a delicious lunch while simply enjoying each other’s company.
What a typical Christmas day for you?
Tebo: We usually get dressed in our Sunday best and attend the morning church service. We then get back home where we finish off cooking Christmas lunch before the family arrives.
What dish do you always make at Christmas time?
Tebo: That would definitely be a roast chicken because it’s always a crowd favourite! Another firm favourite is the Choux Puffs with a Laager Rooibos Custard Filling (see recipe below).
What’s your best Christmas memory?
Lebo: Our annual family pictures where we’re wearing matching outfits and Christmas hats.
What are your plans for this Christmas?
Lebo: A wonderful family lunch that hopefully ends up becoming a games night as well!
What does Christmas mean to you?
Lebo: It’s a time to reflect and count our blessings. This is when we can rest and really reconnect with family and friends.
What Christmas message would you like to share with others this year?
Lebo: May peace, hope, happiness and love follow you into the New Year!
Choux Puffs with a Laager Rooibos Custard Filling by @withlovefromthetwins
• 1 cup water
• ¼ cup butter
• 2 tsp castor sugar
• ¼ tsp salt
• 2/3 cup cake flour
• 1 egg
1. In a heavy base pan, bring the water, butter, salt and sugar to a simmer.
2. Once the butter is melted, remove from the heat and vigorously add in the flour.
3. Stir until a ball forms. Return to heat and cook for 1 to 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
5. With a hand mixer, mix in the egg until nice and smooth.
6. Pipe dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 180°C until golden brown. During the last 5 to 10 minutes, prick each shell with a skewer and let them dry out in the oven while baking.
8. Remove from oven, leave to cool completely.
Laager Rooibos Crème Patisserie
• 4 egg yolks
• 60g castor sugar
• 25g plain flour
• 2 tsp cornflour
• 280ml milk
• 4 Laager Rooibos teabags
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar for a few minutes until pale and lightly thickened.
2. Whisk in the flours.
3. Heat the milk in saucepan with the teabags, bring to the boil. Remove the teabags.
4. Whisk the milk into the egg mix.
5. Put the whole mixture back into the saucepan, stirring consistently until thick and boiling.
6. Take the pan off the heat and cover with a plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming.
7. Pipe into the choux puffs. Enjoy!
Tips and ideas
· Set up the choux puffs in the shape of a Christmas tree on a large platter or wooden board and top with a chocolate star, or set up in the shape of a star.
· Dust with icing sugar or pipe a thin layer of chocolate over the choux puffs.
· If you don’t have a piping bag, use a normal plastic sandwich bag. Snip a small hole in 1 sealed corner, and fill with the crème. Voila – you have a home-made piping bag!
For more recipe ideas, follow @withlovefromthetwins and @LaagerRooibos on Facebook, or @laagerrooibostea on Instagram.
We’re giving away a Laager Rooibos festive hamper consists of the full Laager Rooibos range, festive cushion, wooden sign and tree from local business Pink Peach Designs valued at R800.