September not only marks the beginning of Spring, it also marks the month of Heritage Day and Braai month. Celebrate #braaiday on the 24th of September with this juicy Lamb & Apricot Sosaties recipe by My Kitchen.
Cooking time: 30 mins, plus two to three days marinating time
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2–3 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup apricot juice or water
3 tbsp brown sugar
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper
1½–2 kg leg of lamb, deboned, cut into bite-sized pieces
24 Turkish dried apricots
24 fresh lemon or bay leaves
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and fry until soft (try not to let them brown).
- Add the curry powder, coriander seeds, turmeric and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2–3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add vinegar, apricot juice or water, sugar, and lemon zest and juice. Season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, divide the lamb between 12 skewers, alternately adding dried apricots and leaves. Place in a glass dish and pour the sauce over. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 2–3 days, turning once a day.
- Braai the sosaties slowly over medium coals.
Recipe & styling: Juleta Hirner