Nothing says December holidays in South Africa like packing up the car and heading to the beach for some well-deserved R&R.
“The roads to the coast are always busy this time of year, but once you smell the sea air the stress from the trip and perhaps even from the entire year melt away and a restful holiday is in sight,” comments Mario Correia, brand manager for Everysun.
He continues to point out that although you are on holiday, planning for a day at the beach is needed and it shouldn’t be taken for granted that you have everything you need without checking first.
Correia has compiled the ideal list to tick-off when heading to the beach:
- Beach bag: A spacious, sand-resistant beach bag is essential for carrying all your belongings. Look for a bag with multiple compartments to keep things organised. Make sure it’s sturdy and easy to clean when full of sand. You may want to consider more than one bag that can be carried by a friend or family member. A full bag is a heavy bag – especially when the towels are wet.
- Sunscreen and skincare: The golden rule of beach outings is sun protection. Everysun’s range of broad-spectrum sunscreen is perfect for the entire family. Each variant has an SPF50 option that will keep skin protected from harmful UV rays, and the easy to apply, non-greasy formula makes applying at the beach easy and fuss-free. Reapplying sunscreen every two hours, or sooner when swimming is very important to ensure that your skin is well protected throughout the day.
- Cover up: You should never sit directly in the sun and should always use an umbrella to keep the sun at bay. Although an umbrella is not a fool-proof solution to sun protection, as sunscreen and a hat should always be used as well, an umbrella offers you another layer of protection. Also, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses can provide additional protection.
- Beach towel and blanket: A comfortable, absorbent beach towel is a must-have for lounging on the sand. Consider bringing an extra blanket for a more extensive beach setup or to ensure that there is always a dry towel when you need it. If you are a beach lover, but not a sand lover, consider a large straw mat to place under your towels to keep them sand free.
- Water: Staying hydrated is crucial under the sun. Pack a reusable water bottle to keep yourself refreshed throughout the day. Consider freezing a few water bottles the night before to have cold water on hand as they melt.
- Snacks and cooler: Pack a cooler with your favourite snacks, fruits, and refreshing beverages. Choose items that won’t easily spoil in the heat and use the iced water bottles to keep everything cool.
- Beach chairs: If you prefer to sit at the beach, make sure you take your lightweight beach chairs. They provide a comfortable place to sit and relax while soaking in the sun or enjoying a picnic.
- Entertainment: Bring along some entertainment options for a day filled with fun. Consider items like a beach-friendly Bluetooth speaker for music, the book you have been wanting to read but never had the chance, a frisbee, or beach games like paddleball or beach volleyball.
- Waterproof phone case: Keep your electronics safe from water and sand with a waterproof phone case. This allows you to capture memorable moments without worrying about damage. Also keep a Ziplock bag on hand to put all your electronics in to keep them sand free.
With the right essentials, you can turn your beach day into a memorable and enjoyable experience. From sun protection to comfort and entertainment, careful packing ensures you’re ready to make the most of your time by the sea. Go, grab your beach essentials, hit the shore, and savour the sun, sand, and surf.