Hands up if you knew that August is Peach Month. We didn’t, until we got this little snippet of info from KOO telling us about their fruit lite range which includes pears, guavas, fruit cocktail and of course delicious peach slices. And better yet, with 39 per cent less total sugar than the syrup variety, you can enjoy the treat without the sugar guilt .. in our books that’s a win! It’s even endorsed by Diabetes SA and approved as part of the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s eating plan! Do we need any more arm twisting? You’ll find them at your local supermarket for around R17,99 a tin.
So, with Peach Month in mind, we’re sharing this delicious Peach Almond Squares recipe which comfortably serves six, or eight if you want to cut slightly smaller squares.
You will need: 120g (1 cup) cake wheat flour
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) ginger
100g (½ cup) sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150g butter or margarine, melted
1 can (410g) KOO Lite Peach Slices drained
65ml (¼ cup) flaked almonds, extra cinnamon and brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm X 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder together. Mix in the sugar.
- Add eggs and melted margarine to the dry ingredient mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, place peach slices on top of the batter. Sprinkle with almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or cold, with whipped cream.