Inexpensive, quick and easy, this fantastically mouth-watering mushroom and potato bake recipe shared by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association will make for the perfect weeknight dinner, if you’re looking for a little inspiration in the kitchen.
Mushroom and Potato Bake
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1hr 10 min
• 2 tsp. olive oil
• 3 large potatoes
• 225g white button mushrooms & 225g portabellini, chopped
• 1 tsp dried herbs
2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 250 ml (1 cup) low fat cream
• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) corn flour or cake flour
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºC, coat an oven proof dish well with butter or spray & cook spray.
2. Peel the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool down.
Thinly slice the potatoes and layer a quarter of the slices in the base of the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and dot with bits of butter.
3. Arrange a quarter of the sliced mushrooms on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with some of the herbs, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Repeat the layering in the same order, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
5. Stir the corn flour into the cream until smooth. Season the cream lightly with salt and pepper and pour over the potatoes.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. Best served with a crispy salad