There are pies, and then there are P I E S… this Moroccan Butternut, Mushroom & Nut Phyllo Pot Pie courtesy of The South African Mushroom Farmers Association is something you’ll serve with again and again – and you can easily change up the veg and spicing if you have the urge!
Moroccan Butternut, Mushroom & Nut Phyllo Pot Pies
Serves 4 – 6
10ml olive oil
150g button or portabellini mushrooms, quartered
100g baby mushrooms
5ml ground cumin
salt and milled black pepper
500g roasted butternut, cubed
125g feta cheese
50g flaked almonds, toasted and crumbled
45ml fresh coriander, chopped
Phyllo Pot Pies
45ml olive oil
6 sheets phyllo pastry, trimmed into large squares
30ml white sesame seeds
fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms and button mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika and ground cumin and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
- Gently combine and set aside.
Phyllo Pot Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 200°
- Brush the sheets of phyllo pastry lightly with olive oil and arrange on top of each other in an overlapping stack.
- Place the cooled filling in the centre of the pastry and enclose the filling in the pastry.
- Brush the top with olive oil and scatter the sesame seeds over the top.
- Transfer the pie to a baking sheet and bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Image Credit The South African Mushroom Farmers Association