It’s doesn’t have to be Valentine’s Day to dish up the love-liest breakfast ever
This February, we’re making this easy ashura bowl with cinnamon and cardamom
Treat your special someone to a delicious breakfast, that doesn’t compromise on nutrition. This ashura bowl with cinnamon and cardamom is a simplified version of a traditional Turkish ashura.
Traditionally, ashura is a dessert porridge made of a mixture consisting of grains, fruits, dried fruits and nuts. But this version is high in protein, suitable for vegans and gluten free – making it a super tasty alternative that you could have every day if you wanted to! It’s also super easy to make in large quantities, so keep a jar nearby and scatter the dry mixture over smoothie bowls or shakes in the future.
Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or any other day, proteins are a critical part of our diets. They form the building blocks of our muscles: when we eat protein, our body breaks it down into individual amino acids that can be used to build new proteins where needed. Without enough protein, our muscles will start to break down. Aside from our bodies being physically unable to function without it, protein also offers many other benefits – like filling us up, boosting our metabolisms, and aiding muscle recovery and growth.
Ashura Bowl with cinnamon and cardamom
Serves 2. Vegan, Lactose and Gluten Free.
For the Ashura topping
- 25 g puffed rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons roughly chopped pistachios
For the bowls
- 250 g plant-based yoghurt (Switch for regular yoghurt if you’re not looking for a vegan or lactose-free option)
- 1 serving (28 g) Herbalife Protein Drink Mix Vegan
- 1 serving (26 g) Herbalife Formula 1 Vanilla Cream Flavoured Shake Mix
- A dusting of ground cinnamon
- A drizzle of agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 banana, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the puffed rice in a bowl and mix in the ground cinnamon and ground cardamom.
- Stir in the olive oil and the agave or maple syrup and the roughly chopped pistachios. Spread out the mixture into a single layer over the parchment paper.
- Place in the preheated oven. Bake for 12-13 minutes until the puffed rice is a rich golden colour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- Place the yoghurt in a bowl and whisk in the Protein Drink Mix Vegan and Formula 1 Vanilla Cream Flavoured Shake Mix until smooth.
- Divide between 2 bowls and scatter over some of the ashura followed by a dusting of cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup and some sliced banana.
This bowl is basically dessert for breakfast (minus the guilt) – a perfect way to start the day of love! Up the romance and serve this to your significant other bed, for some added romantic fun.