Forget slogging away in the kitchen on your own while the rest of the family are staring at screens in their rooms.
Turn cooking time into family time and bring everyone together in the heart of the home to get them involved in the process of creating a meal…and enjoy these five benefits that come with cooking together:
- It’s a healthy habit: Cooking at home and eating together helps the family develop an appreciation for healthy food. Parents are role models with their food choices, which influences the family to develop a similar appreciation for healthy foods. A comfortable and supportive environment of home-cooked meals can help to reinforce these healthy behaviours.
- It works up an appetite: Everyone loves to eat food that they’ve prepared. When the family are involved in choosing ingredients and preparing meals, they’re more likely to try their creations.
- It inspires adventurous eating: The family are more likely to try new foods. Even if they decide that they don’t like what they have made, the cooking experience will help to develop an open and curious mind towards new foods.
- It boosts their confidence: The family feel a sense of empowerment, achievement and independence when they cook. They love to tell people: “I did it all by myself!” or “I helped to stir the sauce!” When they’re able to prepare something on their own (no matter how simple) and serve it to the family, it instils a sense of pride and builds confidence. Help them by sharing age-appropriate recipes that they can make.
- It’s great for bonding: Cooking is a brilliant way to spend more time together. The family don’t need much coaxing to join you in the kitchen. Use this time to enjoy each other’s company and talk about how delicious – and good – their meal is going to be.
For more health and nutrition tips, visit Herbalife.